Monday, January 16, 2006
The Stable Groweth
My cross bike build was "sort of" finished at 5:30AM Saturday morning before the race. Still feeling under the weather. I loaded the bike up but left my riding clothes home knowing the urge to join in on the racing fun would be overwhelmingly irresistible once things got under way.
One thing I'd forgotten to get was handlebar tape. After we set up the course I took 'er out and rode it cowboy style - bare hands, bare bars, and denim, and was VERY happy with the way the bike felt. Still some tweakin' and tunin' to do here and there, but this is gonna be a new favorite. Just have to think of a name for her.
The build :
- Specialized XL (58) S-Works TriCross frameset
- Mavic KysriumSLs (off one of the road bikes)
- Ritchey Excavader Cross tires - These things hooked up NICE in the soft muddy grass.
- FSA Compact Gossamer crankset 50x34 w/MegoEXO BB. Had it for the road bikes
- Shimano DoRAY ACH-chay' (that's the Italian Shimano) STI 10 speed shifters, 12-25 cassette , again, pulled from a road bike
- Salsa 46cm Bell Lap cross bars and SUL Scandium stem (90), FSA compact specific front der, all from the good folks at BikeMan.com
- Specialized MTB saddle pulled off another bike
- Spooky Cross brakes from cyclocrossworld.com
Much thanks to my bro' for the gift certificates for Christmas. Also kudos to the team sponsors for making it affordable
I'm no weight-weenie (if you saw me you'd see why) but this thing feels freaky light for a cross bike. I likeey.
The fork has an aluminum steerer with carbon legs. Feels both soft and stiff (no jokes here!)
It's soooo wide my Jones 2.1 tire and wheel from the 29er fit in with room to spare......Hmmmm, makes ya wonder.......It's possibull......It's possibuuuuuull
I hadn't built a bike up from scratch in a loooooong time. What an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
I say do it for T.I.! Big fat CX tires.
You could alway put a bigger casette to allow more spinning. DO IT! HA! HA!
Again, sweet build!
Jase - The 34 -25 gearing is plenty of spinning. Got me through 23,000 vertical feet at the ADK.
I love BIKES!
But.......... You see those mountains over there?
I bet I can throw a football clear over 'em!
Girls LIKE guys with skills. (and numchucks)
saw your message- we do have the got banned t-shirts in XL. contact ed at eddieodea dot com with your address and he'll send it out for ya!